15 May 2023
For many of us, our vacations simply must include time with the family dog. Thankfully it's become easier than ever to bring our pets along with us when we travel! If one adequately plans ahead, most activities can be dog-inclusive, providing ample quality time with the furbabies. We are continually adding more pet-friendly Gatlinburg cabin rentals to our program as well (and when we say pet friendly, that only refers to dogs! Sorry, we can't allow cats at this time).
Check out these activities, attractions, and restaurants in the Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge areas that welcome pets:
Gatlinburg Trail (Great Smoky Mountains National Park)
This is one of two trails in the entirety of Great Smoky Mountains National Park that allow dogs to join in on the outdoor adventuring. The Gatlinburg Trail spans 1.9 miles one-way and begins at the Sugarlands Visitor Center, ending at the outskirts of Gatlinburg, TN. The terrain is mostly flat, and the trail runs through the forest alongside the West Prong of the Little Pigeon River, offering stunning views of the river. A pedestrian foot bridge crosses the river at one point, and the trail also boasts the visible remains of several old homesites. The Gatlinburg Trail is a popular choice for joggers, walkers, and bicyclists.
Oconaluftee River Trail (Great Smoky Mountains National Park)
This is the second of two Great Smoky Mountains National Park trails that allow pets to hike alongside their owners. The Oconaluftee Trail spans 1.5 miles one-way and begins at the Oconaluftee Visitor Center, ending at the outskirts of Cherokee, NC. While the trail is mostly flat, there are a few small hills to navigate. The trail runs through the forest alongside the Oconaluftee River, offering beautiful views of the water.
Townsend Trail (Townsend, TN)
This nine-mile path is a few miles off the beaten path (pun intended), but it's well worth the visit. Townsend is situated to the west of Gatlinburg and is often referred to as "The Gateway to Cades Cove." The Townsend Trail follows Little River, offering various viewpoints of the water. Besides river views, the trail passes attractions like the Great Smoky Mountains Heritage Center and Little River Railroad and Lumber Company Museum, showcasing the town's history. It begins at The Townsend Visitors Center. Users can also find local eateries and businesses along the way. Exercise caution at road and driveway intersections due to some mild slopes on the trail.
Patriot Park Walking Trail (Pigeon Forge, TN)
Patriot Park hosts year-round activities like Winterfest lights, 4th of July fireworks, and the Patriot Festival. It also features memorials honoring local Armed Forces veterans. The park's walking trail spans 1/2 a mile and showcases flags representing all 50 states and several memorials for Pigeon Forge veterans.
The following Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge restaurants have pet-friendly patios and are worth your consideration as you plan your meals out.
Gatlinburg Pet-Friendly Restaurants
- Fox and Parrot Tavern (1065 Glades Rd Gatlinburg, TN 37738): Welcome to the Smokies' only traditional British tavern. All meals are made using authentic, traditional British recipes, and every dish is made to order.
- Tom and Earl's Back Alley Grill (651 Parkway, Gatlinburg, TN 37738): Tom and Earl's is known for good food and good fun in a relaxed Smoky Mountain atmosphere. Stop by for Tom and Earl's favorites whenever you are in town.
- Howard's Restaurant (976 Parkway, Gatlinburg, TN 37738): Howard's has been serving the Gatlinburg community since 1946. Between their mouthwatering menu, the scenic setting, and an in-house saloon, there's no better way to spend a day relaxing in the Smokies.
- Three Jimmy's (1357 East Parkway, Gatlinburg, TN 37738): Three Jimmy's specializes in consistently delicious, fresh, and homemade food. Their diverse selection of entrees is complemented by delightful side dishes, including their renowned smoked Gouda macaroni and cheese, flavorful baked beans, refreshing homemade coleslaw, and distinctive salads with our signature dressings. An added bonus? All their meats are expertly smoked in-house!
- Mad Dog's Creamery and Donuts (731 East Parkway, Gatlinburg, TN 37738): Maddog's has got you covered with the most amazing variety of sweet treats in the Smokies! They even have goodies and toys just for your furry BFF. Oh, and here's the best part: they've got outdoor picnic tables and water bowls, so feel free to bring your adorable furbaby along for some quality time.
- Split Rail Eats (849 Glades Rd., Suite 1b1, Gatlinburg, TN 37738): Split Rail Eats is the place to be for some seriously tasty grub! They've got a menu that's all over the map with mouthwatering American dishes. The best part? You can bring your furry sidekick, Fido, and chill together at one of their pet-friendly outdoor tables while you chow down on your meal.
- Red Oak Bistro (669 Glades Rd., Gatlinburg, TN 37738): Red Oak Bistro is known for its exceptional menu featuring shared small plates of exquisitely authentic and brilliantly inventive cuisine inspired by Mediterranean and Eastern European traditions. Don't miss out on their impeccably curated selection of wine, bourbons, and beer, perfectly complementing your dining experience.
- Tennessee Jed's (Two Locations: 631 Parkway, Suite A8 -AND- 450 Brookside Village Way, Gatlinburg, TN 37738): At Tennessee Jed's, our mission is simple: to craft the absolute best sandwiches in the Smoky Mountains, packed with fresh, top-notch ingredients. As a fast casual counter service joint, we offer limited indoor seating alongside a spacious patio that welcomes your furry friends. So swing by, grab a seat, and treat yourself to a sandwich experience like no other!
Pigeon Forge Pet-Friendly Restaurants
- Junction 35 Spirits & Kitchen (2655 Teaster Lane Ste 280, Pigeon Forge, TN 37863): At Junction 35 Spirits, the mission is clear: deliver high quality, unique spirits and unique signature dishes to everyone who visits, all while providing a fun and friendly atmosphere where guests can gather with friends and family.
- Hard Rock Cafe (2050 Parkway, Pigeon Forge, TN 37863): The Pigeon Forge location of this tried and true classic restaurant features 12,000 square feet of stylish space, which includes seating for more than 400 guests, private event space for up to 450, an outdoor dog-friendly patio, a live music stage, and a Rock Shop®. They'll even bring you a special "doggy" menu!
- Wild Bear Tavern (4236 Parkway, Pigeon Forge, TN 37863): The welcoming eatery exudes a distinct southern charm, offering a delightful array of comfort food and authentic German cuisine that is expertly prepared to satisfy any palate. Patrons can enjoy breakfast, lunch, dinner, or dessert, and take advantage of a full bar. Exceptional service and delightful plates accompany every serving, ensuring a memorable dining experience.
- Buzzed Bull Creamery (3239 Parkway, Pigeon Forge, TN 37863): Buzzed Bull Creamery harnesses the power of liquid nitrogen to deliver fresh, premium ice creams and milkshakes, providing a unique experience for customers and their families. They take pride in hand-crafting each ice cream and milkshake, allowing for complete customization. The creamery is dedicated to making ice cream enjoyable for all, with a special focus on alcohol-infused options starting at a 5% ABV for adult customers. Guests are encouraged to explore their creativity with a wide selection of over 30 flavors and embrace the excitement of liquid nitrogen's innovative applications. The potential for delicious combinations is truly limitless.
- Margaritaville (130 The Island Dr., Suite 6101, Pigeon Forge, TN 37863): From margaritas to cheeseburgers in paradise, this Buffet-themed restaurant franchise offers fun takes on American and island classics. Its lively atmosphere makes for a fun night out, and there's often live music as well.
- Applewood Farmhouse Restaurant (240 Apple Valley Rd, Sevierville, TN 37862): Built upon a legacy of excellence and charm, Applewood Farmhouse Restaurant serves beloved southern classics to over a million guests annually. As Sevierville's oldest restaurant, Applewood Farmhouse takes immense pride in upholding its tradition and is wholeheartedly dedicated to ensuring guest satisfaction.
Gatlinburg SkyLift Park
Yes, that's right! Your puppy pal is allowed to ride the SkyLift with you and enjoy the SkyBridge, SkyTrail, SkyDeck, and all other activities at the top of the mountain. Dogs must be leashed at all times, and you must hold and secure Fido in order for him/her to join you on the SkyLift. What's more, our guest concierge service, Xplorie, will provide all guests of Mountain Laurel Chalets with a free ticket to SkyLift Park for each day of your stay, making this more afforadable for you. The best news? Dogs ride the SkyLift for free!
River Rat Tubing (Townsend)
Have you ever wanted to take your dog river tubing with you? Thanks to River Rat tubing, now you can! Grab your sunscreen and a bathing suit and head to Townsend, TN, where you can embark on a river rafting excursion with your loved ones...and your pup! The dog even gets his or her own doggie tube! It's a pretty sweet deal, and it will provide you and Fido with a great way to cool off in the warmer months. Doggie passes are only $16.99.
PetSafe Unleashed Dog Park (Sevierville)
This incredible facility provides distinct areas for both large and small dogs, complete with dog agility equipment, water stations, shaded spaces, observation cameras, Wi-Fi connectivity, benches, and designated parking (including handicapped parking). Please note that all pets must be vaccinated in compliance with City and State laws.
Doggywood (Pigeon Forge)
Even pet parents deserve a day off! Head to Dollywood (another Xplorie attraction, which means a free ticket for Mountain Laurel Chalets guests) and drop your furry friend off at Doggywood on your way into the park! This kennel provides a safe haven for dogs during the day, allowing owners to enjoy their park visit. For dogs seeking additional privacy, a limited number of individual cottages are available. To ensure availability, it is crucial to make advance reservations for the day of your park visit, as overnight accommodations for dogs are not provided.
Bonediggity Barkery & Gifts (Gatlinburg)
Discover the delight of Bonediggity Barkery & Gifts, where you and your furry companion can indulge in a variety of made in the USA gourmet dog treats, toys, clothes, collars, strollers, and more. Unleash your excitement with a wide selection of toys and treats suitable for furbabies of all sizes.
The Island (Pigeon Forge)
At The Island in Pigeon Forge, dogs are welcomed as the property maintains a pet-friendly environment for leashed pups. However, it is important to note that individual shops and restaurants have their own policies regarding dogs inside their establishments. Visitors are advised to check with each business beforehand to determine if dogs are permitted indoors, ensuring a pleasant experience for both Fido and their owners.
Parrot Mountain and Garden of Eden (Pigeon Forge)
Parrot Mountain and Garden of Eden, situated just one mile away from Dollywood in Pigeon Forge, warmly welcomes leashed dogs inside their dog-friendly tourist attraction. Within the captivating gardens, visitors can encounter a multitude of tropical birds residing in serene stone gardens. Guests are not only invited to observe these beautiful creatures but also have the unique opportunity to interact with and pet them.
You'll need a place to rest your heart and head after a long day out and about with friends, family, and furbabies. Mountain Laurel Chalets is adding new dog-friendly properties all the time, and we have a 50-year history of serving the Smoky Mountain area as the premier vacation rental management company. Check out all our properties now and plan your trip to the Smokies today!